Dense Breasts…….very popular topic when speaking with patients at OC Breast Wellness. What does it mean and am I getting the “run around” from the medical system about the quality of the exams that are covered by my insurance? Bottom line, can a mammogram find a lesion in dense breast tissue? Why did California finally implement a law?
SB 1538 requires that following a mammogram, women with dense breast tissue be informed of the following:
• That they have dense breast tissue;
• That dense breast tissue can make it harder to evaluate the results of a mammogram;
• That it is associated with an increased risk of breast cancer;
• That information about breast density is given to discuss with their doctor; and
• That a range of screening options are available.
Once you knew you had dense breast tissue, would you have a mammogram?